The Online Laboratory School is an ongoing project which intends to support personalized learning and as part of the laboratory modernization project.
Principle Investigator: Ariel Chan, Ph.D. P.Eng.
Associate Professor, Teaching Stream. Department of Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry.
Professor Chan obtained her Bachelors and PhD degrees in Chemical Engineering from Queens University. During her graduate studies, she worked with Genencor Inc/Dupont Bioscience in Palo Alto, CA and later continued her Postdoctoral Fellowship at Agriculture Canada in biomaterials and bioplastics development. Prof. Chan began her academic career at the University of Waterloo in 2012. In 2017, she joined the Department of Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry at the University of Toronto and is now the Associate Professor (Teaching Stream). She is also a practicing professional engineer registered in Ontario, Canada. Her teaching and research focus on chemical process design and scale-up simulation and modernizing chemical engineering laboratory curriculum. In addition, she uses virtual/augmented technology and data analytics techniques to facilitate individualized learning. Her recent work on developing an interactive, virtual chemical plant with an intelligent feedback system has been awarded a U of T Engineering Dean’s Emerging Innovation in Teaching Professorship. She is also a recipient of the 2022 Wighton Fellowship, the national award which recognizes excellence in the leadership of laboratory-based education, and 2023 Northrop Frye Award.
Students Contributed to this Online Laboratory School Development:
- Jim Yao, Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry
- Namya Syal, Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry
- Athbi Alfadhli, Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry
- Jackie Liu, Computer Science
- Danny Wang, Industrial Engineering
- Semin Jo, Chemical Engineering and Applied Chemistry
- Interview with Prof. Ariel Chan. Engineering Month. University of Toronto.
- Professor Ariel Chan receives the U of T Northrop Frye Award for faculty.
- Professor Ariel Chan recognized with 2022 Wighton Fellowship. U of T News.
- U of T Engineering students collaborate across time zones through the ‘Global Classrooms’ initiative.
- Chemical and Process Safety Education During Pandemics and Moving Forward. EdTech 2023 Workshop.
- Teaching Leadership and Excellence. During Pandemic. University of Toronto News on Feb 3, 2021. Video News on Twitter, FB, Instagram, and LinkedIn.
- University of Toronto: Student life on campus. Maclean Magazine.
- U of T prof uses virtual reality to beam engineering lab into students’ homes.University of Toronto News. https://www.utoronto.ca/news/u-t-prof-uses-virtual-reality-beam-engineering-lab-students-homes . Jan 20, 2021.
- Virtual reality makes unique chemical engineering lab accessible from home. U of T Engineering News. Jan 19, 2021.
- U of T professor engages engineering students with virtual reality. The Charlatan. Carletan’s Independent weekly newspaper. Mar 12, 2021.
Please share your user experience with us by completing the following survey questions. The form should take you 2-3 min to complete. Your help is greatly appreciated to enable us to deliver an effective and more accessible learning experience to our students.